Kyle Walters (Unofficial News)

Started by ModAdmin, December 09, 2022, 03:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on December 10, 2022, 07:00:28 PM
1. I don't see how this is possible, tbh. Because of the admin cap, it's not complicated at all. IMO.

2. An extension without seeing some future possibilities come to fruition wouldn't be possible until they actually occur. IE. No room in the budget until Goveia becomes GM of the Riders.

3. I personally don't see this as on the table. I don't see Walters as a candidate for the Presidency. He's going to go from scouting players and negotiating contracts to ordering bouncy castles and buses? I just don't see it. Not to mention I feel like Wade is going to at least stick around until our home Grey Cup.

4. Again, the idea of "squeezing" Walters is ridiculous to me. These are two professionals who speak of each other as nothing but a close knit team. I don't believe anything is happening beyond a closely laid out plan that will come to fruition when necessary. The two AGM's is something that may need to come to an end though (ie. One of Teddy or Danny moving on - they've both taken interviews in the past).

Could be something, could be nothing but the article from threedown isn't the worst. It is a little odd that Miller was fairly non-committal on Walters. A more usual answer would be, 'yes, negotiations are on-going and we think a deal will get done.' It sounds like that is not currently happening, but again, it's just one quote. I could envision a scenario where Walters runs out his GM contact and then O'Shea takes over doing both jobs. This wouldn't really be unusual for where he is in his coaching career and a potential savings if he can do the job at 1.5x vs max budget for both Walters and O'Shea. Another possibility is that, since after next year -- Walters will have been in Winnipeg for 13 years and the GM for a decade -- maybe he is feeling like he wants a new challenge or wants to be closer to Ontario, or something. Could be a situation where he is not sure what he wants to do following next season.

theaardvark

Walters, McManus, Goeviea are probably as sold a front office as you can have.

Cap goes up $200k this year, for all salaries including these three and the whole coaching staff, and Miller.

Will someone try (again) to pry McManus or Goveia away?  Or even Walters?  Will any ont them wish to try "Free agency" to see what they can find?

Until all the variables have been set, you cannot speculate as to what it going to happen in the front office. 

Would I hate to lose Walters?  Of the three, of course he is the biggest loss, he is the frontman.

But McManus and Goveia are almost equally important.

Without the cap, I could see all of them signed long term.  I think all three would be happy continuing here long term.

But it comes down to cash.  We lose FA's every year that grow beyond our ability to keep them under our cap.  With a front office cap, we may face similar issues.  We have survived the "Walters to Guelf as AA as well as a couple attempts to interview McManus and Goveia. So far, so good.  And with a few extra sheckels, there could be a little sweetener in the pot for them to return.

But each year that we do great, the bigger the targets get painted on our staff, and the more other teams covet our staffers.  Look what BC did for Ryan Rigmaiden.  Quite the step up there, no doubt with commensurate pay bump. 

So, making any statement beyond "we will see" isn't realistic right now.  There are lots of things shaking up in the CFL front offices, but I feel confident we willretain most if not all of our front office yet again.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on December 12, 2022, 01:32:37 PM
Could be something, could be nothing but the article from threedown isn't the worst. It is a little odd that Miller was fairly non-committal on Walters. A more usual answer would be, 'yes, negotiations are on-going and we think a deal will get done.' It sounds like that is not currently happening, but again, it's just one quote. I could envision a scenario where Walters runs out his GM contact and then O'Shea takes over doing both jobs. This wouldn't really be unusual for where he is in his coaching career and a potential savings if he can do the job at 1.5x vs max budget for both Walters and O'Shea. Another possibility is that, since after next year -- Walters will have been in Winnipeg for 13 years and the GM for a decade -- maybe he is feeling like he wants a new challenge or wants to be closer to Ontario, or something. Could be a situation where he is not sure what he wants to do following next season.

I don't think O'Shea could be any clearer that he loves his job and the life he's created in Wpg., and will remain HC for the duration of his 3 year contract.  He is now being well compensated for his position as the top HC in the CFL, sometimes that and the never ending challenge of staying on top is enough reward in a fast moving environment.  I pretty well expect to hear the same story from Walters when his contract expires, he can not find a better job in the CFL and taking on new challenges sometimes leads to getting fired. 

Goveia will most likely move on when the right GM opportunity comes along but McManus likes living in Florida, so he  probably won't seek more involvement with another CFL team than that restriction allows.  There is the possibility of losing him to the NFL or new leagues though, if the pay is that much better for a similar role.