Way Too Early Power Rankings (by 3rd DownNation)

Started by ModAdmin, December 02, 2023, 03:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 07, 2023, 09:36:12 PM
I think SSK fans will demand they make the playoffs in Mace Year 1.  Because nothing changed at GM the fans will just see this as a continuation of the same regime, and won't have the patience for 3 years of failure with a promise of future success.

No matter what, Mace won't have the kind of time to fail for years like MOS did when he first arrived.  And if for some strange reason Mace turns into Claybrooks, he may not even last 2 seasons.  If both Mace and JOD suck really badly in year 1 maybe the fans will run the whole lot out of town early; the coach cap be darned.  I'm not predicting that, but it would be incredibly amusing.
I can easily see that happening. Sask doesn't have the talent level to be a 500+ team. Their O line sucks, **** near killed Fajardo, injured Harris, injured Hine, and I see the same thing happening again this year.

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on December 09, 2023, 01:25:10 AMI can easily see that happening. Sask doesn't have the talent level to be a 500+ team. Their O line sucks, **** near killed Fajardo, injured Harris, injured Hine, and I see the same thing happening again this year.

They've upgraded their O-line personnel quite a bit, remains to be seen how they will perform, their past performance means nothing.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 19, 2024, 04:15:35 PMHere is another effort by 3rd Down Nation on post-2024 free agency Power Rankings...

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/19/3downnation-cfl-power-rankings-riders-on-the-rise-post-free-agency/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Their new list makes a lot more sense to me.  As with most years, there'll probably be a an unexpected surprise good or bad team.

I like that they downgraded MTL, especially after losing the 2 ELC monsters to the NFL.  Ento's still there, though, and Maciocia has proven an adept talent spotter.  But it may have been just a lucky flash in the pan from a middling team vs one with too many injuries.
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 20, 2024, 02:29:45 AMTheir new list makes a lot more sense to me.  As with most years, there'll probably be a an unexpected surprise good or bad team.

I like that they downgraded MTL, especially after losing the 2 ELC monsters to the NFL.  Ento's still there, though, and Maciocia has proven an adept talent spotter.  But it may have been just a lucky flash in the pan from a middling team vs one with too many injuries.

#1 is VERY IFFY now with the Chad Kelly scandal happening.  I think Dru Brown will help Ottawa immensely. I'd rank them ahead of the Cat's for third in the East.  Bo Levi better have a late career renaissance or Hamilton is toast this year.  I also would rank Montreal ahead of Toronto just because of the scandal floating over the Boatmen now.

In the West I think BC and Winnipeg battle for first again. Calgary, Sask and Edmonton competing for third and/or a wild card if Ottawa tanks again.

GOLDMEMBER

TO number  1 makes me laugh they have had a brutal offseason.

They will be good on D but the O could  be a disaster.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Cool Spot

Quote5) Saskatchewan Roughriders (8)

... Add in a healthy Trevor Harris next season and the sky could be the limit.

I don't wish ill will on any player because I think it's important for players to play, and deserve a shot at greatness. But, I have a feeling Trevor Harris will get injured again. He's in his late 30's and coming off a serious knee injury. I think those will work against him, and will lead to another injury.  :-[

bluebeard

Quote from: Cool Spot on February 25, 2024, 04:42:51 AMI don't wish ill will on any player because I think it's important for players to play, and deserve a shot at greatness. But, I have a feeling Trevor Harris will get injured again. He's in his late 30's and coming off a serious knee injury. I think those will work against him, and will lead to another injury.  :-[

Harris is 38 years of age but after looking at who they have signed and not brought back, I'm thinking that the RR are a very improved team.  Much better coaching all round and brought in better players for their OL and TB.  This team will run and take the pressure off the QB.  Defensively, Mace has proven in the past that he has the ability to turn them around.

Two questions in my mind.  First as you mentioned, a Harris injury.  Fine is really unproven.  Surprised that they didn't bring someone else in.  With all the new players that will man the team it will take some time to jell.  I think they will be a 500 team this year.  How is that for sticking out ones neck?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bluebeard on February 27, 2024, 10:33:38 PMTwo questions in my mind.  First as you mentioned, a Harris injury.  Fine is really unproven.  Surprised that they didn't bring someone else in.  With all the new players that will man the team it will take some time to jell.  I think they will be a 500 team this year.  How is that for sticking out ones neck?

Harris made SSK look decent to start last season.  It's amazing what a real QB can do, even a geriatric one.  If Harris had stayed healthy, SSK would have had that last playoff spot.

Same thing this year: if Harris stays upright then SSK might be trouble.  But it's no different than our situation with Zach.  The only difference is Zach has been able to stay 95% healthy, which is actually incredible.  Make whatever prayers and entrail sacrifices you need to to continue our good luck.

Whatever QB stays standing will have the better team standing come week 21.  For SSK attendance sake, I hope Trevor can stay upright until the week before labor day.  ;)
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 28, 2024, 12:24:38 AMHarris made SSK look decent to start last season.  It's amazing what a real QB can do, even a geriatric one.  If Harris had stayed healthy, SSK would have had that last playoff spot.

Same thing this year: if Harris stays upright then SSK might be trouble.  But it's no different than our situation with Zach.  The only difference is Zach has been able to stay 95% healthy, which is actually incredible.  Make whatever prayers and entrail sacrifices you need to to continue our good luck.

Whatever QB stays standing will have the better team standing come week 21.  For SSK attendance sake, I hope Trevor can stay upright until the week before labor day.  ;)

Only watched it twice but the play Harris was injured on was so dumb, to this day I can hardly believe he thought running the ball 20 yards downfield and deciding not to slide was going to help his team. When has he ever attempted a play like that before???  Lesson to Zach, bad things happen when an older QB tries to do too much on their own. 

ModAdmin

The pundits and experts continue to propose their views on Power Rankings.  Let us know what you predict as of today...

1.  Blue Bombers
2.  Lions
3.  Alouettes
4.  Roughriders
5.  Argonauts
6.  Redblacks
7.  Elks
8.  Ticats
9.  Stampeders
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_or_die

Quote from: ModAdmin on April 04, 2024, 05:28:47 AMThe pundits and experts continue to propose their views on Power Rankings.  Let us know what you predict as of today...

1.  Blue Bombers
2.  Lions
3.  Alouettes
4.  Roughriders
5.  Argonauts
6.  Redblacks
7.  Elks
8.  Ticats
9.  Stampeders

tbh I'm kind of surprised they have us at the top. I mean, I still think we are a dominant team but the "public" seems to think we're over the hill and might expect to see our decline starting this year. Fully expected to be snubbed by the media until we show 'em. Still time tho lmao.
#Ride?

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_or_die on April 04, 2024, 06:48:38 PMtbh I'm kind of surprised they have us at the top. I mean, I still think we are a dominant team but the "public" seems to think we're over the hill and might expect to see our decline starting this year. Fully expected to be snubbed by the media until we show 'em. Still time tho lmao.

Bombers history in recent years has been about finding replacement value at lower costs. Can we find the next Sayles, Jeffcoat, Schoen or Alford this season? Don't know until we see what we've got in TC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Surprised anyone would put CGY dead last, seeing as how they dominated most of the 2010-2019 decade.  And the Huffer/Dickenson combo always had a knack for finding talent.

I wonder if their snail's pace demise has been due to the old and decrepit facilities?  That decade saw many teams get new stadiums and player facilities, and maybe players look at the CGY situation and balk vs coming to WPG or SSK or HAM/TOR/OTT.

It used to be players would take a discount to be in CGY, now it seems like you have to pay them more.  Now they take a discount to be in WPG, BC or TOR.

Ya, you could say it's also/more about winning... but up until just 1-2 seasons ago CGY was always in the mix for a good playoff run.  Maybe it's all of the above, and a compounding factor.  I think it's getting time for CGY to pony up for a new home.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 05, 2024, 04:02:31 AMSurprised anyone would put CGY dead last, seeing as how they dominated most of the 2010-2019 decade.  And the Huffer/Dickenson combo always had a knack for finding talent.

I wonder if their snail's pace demise has been due to the old and decrepit facilities?  That decade saw many teams get new stadiums and player facilities, and maybe players look at the CGY situation and balk vs coming to WPG or SSK or HAM/TOR/OTT.

It used to be players would take a discount to be in CGY, now it seems like you have to pay them more.  Now they take a discount to be in WPG, BC or TOR.

Ya, you could say it's also/more about winning... but up until just 1-2 seasons ago CGY was always in the mix for a good playoff run.  Maybe it's all of the above, and a compounding factor.  I think it's getting time for CGY to pony up for a new home.

In the CFL, due to the NAT situation, it can take a while to build a dominant team.  But on the other hand, you can go downhill really quick, if your players age out and ELC's jump ship at the same time.

Plus, having the leagues best QB always improves a team's chances.  Maier isn't that.  If he even makes it out of camp.

1    Bonner, Logan    QB    A    6'0    234    26    Utah State
12    Maier, Jake    QB    A    6'0    227    26    UC Davis
17    Reynolds, Chris    QB    A    5'11    196    25    UNC Charlotte
16    Shiltz, Matt    QB    A    6'2    205    31    Butler
15    Stevens, Tommy    QB    A    6'5    257    27    Penn State
   Vantrease, Kyle    QB    A    6'2    225    25    Georgia Siuthern
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.